Spot the signs of CSE
CSE Warning Signs
- Change in behaviour & Friendship Groups
- Links to unknown adults
- Mood changes
- Mobile phones, Sim cards, snapped Sim cards
- Seen in different cars
- Increased Internet activity
- Change in language
- Unaccounted monies or possessions
- Night Time Economy
- Truanting/absences from School/missing from education
- Large amounts of condoms
Youth Produced Sexual Imagery
- This is the exchange of self-generated sexually explicit images, through mobile picture messages or webcams over the internet.
- Young people may also call it ‘Cybersex’ or sending a ‘nudie’, picture or ‘selfie’.
- What are the dangers?
- It is illegal
- There is no control of images and how they are shared
- It leaves children and young people vulnerable to blackmail, bullying and harm
- Unwanted attention – images posted online can attract the attention of sex offenders who know how to search for, collect and modify images.
- Emotional distress – children can feel humiliated and embarrassed. If they are very distressed this could lead to suicide or self harm.
Exploitation of GBT and curious young men. Barnardo’s annual survey 2013/2014 found that technology often appears to be a route into CSE for boys.
If you are worried about online sexual abuse or the way someone has been communicating with you online you can report it.